Frequently asked questions

In this section you will find answers to lots of frequently asked questions (FAQs). If you cannot find the answer you are looking for, please contact us

Select a category from the list on the left or search by using a keyword. For example, to find all the questions and answers we have relating to rent, type 'rent' in to the search box on the top right of this page.

Back to the list

Can I claim Employment Support Allowance?

If you are under state pension age and have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work you can also apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). This could be instead of or as well as Universal Credit.

You can apply for ‘new style’ ESA if you’re unable to claim Statutory Sick Pay and one of the following applies:

  • You or your child might have coronavirus or you’re recovering from it;
  • You or your child are self-isolating because you came into contact with someone who might have coronavirus;
  • You have been told to stay at home for at least 12 weeks by the NHS because you’re at high risk of severe illness.

For more information see

  1. Coronavirus