From the 17 - 23 September, we're raising theS awareness of gas safety and the dangers of carbon monoxide during Gas Safety Week.
We are focused on the safety of our customers, and make sure all our homes are maintained to a high standard. We work with our gas contractor, Aaron Services, to check all gas appliances every 12 months to make sure they are working correctly and do not pose a threat to our customers. Faulty appliances can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, which may lead to loss of life.
We also have a legal requirement to keep our customers safe, so if we cannot get into a home to ensure a customer's home is gas safe, we must go to court for access.
Stay vigilant about the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:
6. Loss of consciousness.
If you are concerned, keep your home ventilated, switch off gas appliances and leave your property. Contact us as soon as possible to ensure gas appliances are repaired safely.
It is important to test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms regularly. If you are concerned you can smell gas, turn your gas safety control value to the off position and call the National Grid immediately on 0800 111 999.
We urge any of our customers to get in contact with us immediately with any concerns about their heating system.