Did you know that more than half of accidental fires are started by cooking? Please follow these simple steps to stay safe in the kitchen:
- Don’t leave cooking unattended. If you need to leave the kitchen take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk;
- Double check the oven is completely switched off when you’ve finished cooking;
- Don’t leave things on the oven or hob. Keep tea towels and cloths away completely;
- Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out, as they don’t get knocked off the stove;
- Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – this can easily catch fire;
- Don’t children in the kitchen alone when cooking. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach.
You can find more useful tips and advice on the Essex County Fire & Rescue Service website.