While we’re keeping cool and enjoying being outside, we must remember to stay safe and watch out for fire risks in our homes and gardens. Here are some top tips –
- If you are using items like electric fans remember to switch them off at the plug when not in use. Do not leave them on overnight
- Look out for the British Standards Institute (BSI) Kitemark when buying products like fans. This means it will have been safety tested. Be aware of cheaper alternatives that may not offer as much protection
- If you need electricity outside, use an outdoor extension cord. These are made to handle elements like water and heat
- Do not have a barbeque in a small or semi-enclosed space like a balcony
- Never leave a fire pit or running patio heater unattended. If it’s windy outside, avoid using either.
- Do not leave fire doors open in communal areas. Never disconnect an automatic closer on a door – they are fitted for safety.
- Test your smoke alarms weekly and never cover them up or remove them.
Please find our fire safety top tips leaflet here.