Repairs and home improvements

We want you to enjoy living in your home and we understand that sometimes you might want to make improvements or alterations. Here’s an overview of what you need to ask permission for, as well as responsibilities around repairs.


As a shared owner, it’s your responsibility to keep your home in good condition and repair faulty items quickly. To help with this we have created a series of How to videos on topics such as changing light bulbs and unblocking slow draining sinks, baths and showers.

How to videos

It’s our responsibility to maintain the building structure and any communal areas such as the entrance hall and stairwell. You can report a repair on your block or estate by registering for or signing in to your online account.

We’ll consult you about repairs to communal areas if they cost more than £250 per property. You can find out more about this by visiting our Works process and consultation page.

Home improvements

You can carry out some improvements and alterations to your home, but you must get our written permission before you start the work. You can do this by completing and returning our Home improvements and alterations form[pdf] 617KB. If we refuse permission, we’ll always explain why.

For more information including examples of alterations we'll consider and those that we won't give permission for, see our A guide to getting permission for DIY and home improvements[pdf] 506KB. Or read our Permission for Improvements and Alterations Policy[pdf] 189KB. You can also check your lease for details specific to your home.

Adapting your home for medical needs

If you have additional support needs, we may be able to help you maintain your independence by making changes to your home. These are called adaptations. You can find information on simple and complex adaptations, and how to apply, by registering for or signing in to your online account. Read our Adaptations Policy[pdf] 179KB.