Support with moving in
It can be overwhelming moving into a new home, managing the running costs of a household and making sure you have what you need. We can provide support and signpost you to more help if you need it.
There are some great organisations in Essex, such as Lighthouse, who offer discounted furniture and other household items to help make your new place a home.
You can also find items on local selling sites and social media. Please call us on 0300 555 0500 if you need help with this. (Text relay: 18001 0300 555 0500).
It’s important to budget for all the costs of running a home. This includes electric, gas, water, rent and council tax. Take a look at our Life skills page for where you can get help with saving money.
We also have support available to help you maximise your income and assist with applications for benefits. Check out our Benefit advice page for more information.
Moving in checklist
There are a few things to remember when moving into your new home.
- Contact your local council to set up or change your council tax payments.
- Contact your gas, water and electricity suppliers to set up or change your utilities account.
- Take a meter reading.
- Arrange contents insurance for your personal belongings (Sign in to your online account for information about special rates with our insurance partner).
- Arrange for your mail to be re-directed from your previous address.
- Arrange or amend your TV licence if needed.
- Register with a new GP if necessary.
- Let your bank, employer and DVLA know of your new address.
- Register to vote with your new address so you can have a say on who represents you.
- Find out where and when to put the rubbish out.